Discover the enchanting world of Befanini cookies as you step into the sweet embrace of this sweet Italian tradition. As the Epiphany season approaches, these delightful little cookies take center stage in Italy's festive celebrations. Bake your own batch to infuse your own kitchen with the scents of an Italian holiday.
- 4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 1.5 cup sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- Zest of 1 lemon or orange
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoons rum (or sub 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract)
- 3 tablespoons milk (only add if needed to soften the dough)
- 1 egg yolk
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the butter, sugar, and eggs.
- Using your hands, mix everything together. Add the zest, the rum (or extract) and knead. If dough is stiff add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough is smooth.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 - 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to about 1/3 inch (4mm) and cut into various shapes using cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush them with egg yolk sprinkle with nonpareils.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes, not letting them get too dark.
Now is a great time to begin curating recipes to develop into your own Christmas traditions. Sonlight has some simple recipe cards where you can record your favorites and create your own Christmas Cookie Collection.