It's that time of year. Convention fever has hit, and being the incredibly contagious bug that it is, it is spreading. So what are your plans for visiting a homeschool convention this year?
I bought new convention shoes this year. Good footwear is vital to a pleasant convention experience and I just couldn't resist these when I saw them. I'm sure there are a number of other things that make for a good convention experience. So sure in fact, that some of my friends and I put together a short podcast on how to get the most out of your convention experience. I hope you find it helpful!
Over on the Sonlight forums folks are busily making plans for visiting their favorite conventions. Others are holding a very interesting conversation about high pressure sales tactics on the convention floor.
I particularly enjoyed one thread discussing the merits of attending homeschool conventions. The following seem to be common reasons for making the time and effort to attend:
- I felt very refreshed after hearing the speakers. I'd come home excited about starting school again in the fall.
- I love going and looking at the curriculum. Also the seminars are very helpful.
- Worth every minute of driving and every penny of gas!
- ... it was life changing for my husband. He had always supported me in homeschooling but never participated. After the convention he had opinions on curriculum, and he now teaches a class ....
- It always refreshes/encourages/inspires me right when I need a shot in the arm.
- Normally this life is so isolating - I love seeing all those hsers in one place.
- The convention was what I needed - encouragement to stay the course. It's encouraging to me to see all the other moms in the same sessions as I, realizing that we all have the same struggles.
They had lots more to say ... but perhaps you'll find just the "boost" you need to make it to a homeschooling convention this year. And hey ... let me know about your favorite convention shoes!
Maybe I'll see you there!!