One thing I've been struck with lately is how close I came to not homeschooling, and how much I would have missed had I not homeschooled. As Autumn arrives, I think we need to remind ourselves what a privilege it is to spend time with our children and invest into their lives.
I also think we would do well to remember the simple joys of homeschooling. A funny thread popped up on the Forums last month about the "real reason" for homeschooling. I got a good laugh out of these lighthearted reasons. Please don't take these too seriously! I've paraphrased some of my favorites and credited the mom who wrote it:
- You don't have to pack lunches (ora pura)
- You can travel when no one else is on vacation (mamamoz)
- You don't have to get up early in the morning (Cindy in GA)
- You don't have to do school fundraisers (Anne-Marie)
- You can buy new books for every school year instead of "back to school" wardrobes (Aurora Borealis)
- You don't have to deal with homework after dinner when everyone is tired (ora pura and Hoffies 5)
- You don't have to tell your kids you don't remember how to do their homework (albeto)
- Because regular school frowns on little boys with capes and swords, or lightsabers and baseball helmets (lisarn3)
- Your kids don't think their teacher knows more than you (achild)
- You get to hug and kiss your kids without embarrassing them (eleanorgrace)
- You have a valid explanation (should you ever need one) for why your house is a mess! (tableforsix)
- And my personal favorite came from maplesyrup: "I wanted an excuse to buy even more books. So far everyone has fallen for it."
So, what would you add to the list? If you're looking for some more serious reasons, check out www.sonlight.com/reasons-to-love-homeschooling.html.
I should also say that God has different plans for different families. I wholeheartedly believe that homeschooling is a great option for many, many families. But it is certainly not the only option! Wherever you are in your family's journey, I pray that God is guiding and blessing you.
Have fun heading back to your homeschool ... and sleeping in as the school bus rolls by.
Want more encouragement?
Sign up for Sonlight's bi-weekly e-newsletter
You'll be encouraged by the words of founder Sarita Holzmann, inspired by real-life stories from other homeschoolers, pick up practical tips for the journey and more.